Hartlepool United Forum - Macclesfield
Vital Football

Latest Hartlepool United News

Hartlepool United Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Doncaster MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Carson12%
Donnelly3%
Walker1%
Harrison0%
Magnay6%
Woods3%
Featherstone1%
Hawkins1%
Alessandra6%
Amond1%
Oates12%
Sub - Deverdics1%
Sub - Rodney50%
Sub - Simpson3%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Alfalfa11
2.Old Poolie9
3.Smokin Joe4
4.billytwodogs4
5.Block Sands2
6.Darlo Waiter1
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2):
Macclesfield
02 December 2017 14:19 Post ID: #111806
Sam Collins
Team news announced, with Magnay returning from injury at right back ( hopefully he's not being rushed back!) and "crowd favourite" Munns replacing the injured Featherstone. With Donnelly still in the starting 11 I'm not sure how the team will line-up, but suspect it will be 4 3 1 2 with Munns playing behind Cassidy and Oates, Donnelly being asked to play a midfield holding role.
A draw might prove to be a good result.

Apparently Featherstone has a broken bone and will be missing for a month; whilst his "obvious" replacement, Luke George, has a hamstring issue!
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
02 December 2017 17:03 Post ID: #111807 - in reply to #111806
Simon Walton
Another fail today. All very well beating the Halifaxes but as soon as we play the better sides we fall short. Promotion my a rse.
Like post
Like this post
02 December 2017 19:02 Post ID: #111810 - in reply to #111806
Simon Walton
Just looked at the League table. There are twelve teams above us and we have only beaten two of them (Dagenham and Maidstone) Says it all.
Like post
Like this post
02 December 2017 22:23 Post ID: #111811 - in reply to #111806
Fantasy Football Champion 08/09
Couldn’t fault any player who crossed the white line today, no way was it the fault of those that pulled on the shirt.

At 65 - 70 mins we controlled the game but cracks were appearing so time for change, you would have thought. Harrison thought differently, we neglected to seize the opportunity to change the game, they didn’t.......to the victor belong the spoils, Harrison was out-thought today, not for the first time. Hands up time Craig I’m afraid.

It’s easy to say we’re x amount of points off this and x amount of points off that but we’re not making any ground on the leaders, we’re wading through treacle. No disrespect to these teams, Dover, Fylde, Aldershot and Macclesfield but WE need to be doing better, particularly at our place.

You have got to get it right Craig, nobody else just you.

Like post
Like this post
02 December 2017 22:35 Post ID: #111812 - in reply to #111811
billytwodogs - 2/12/2017 22:23

Couldn’t fault any player who crossed the white line today, no way was it the fault of those that pulled on the shirt.
:132:

Saying that, the stunt that Deverdics pulled, which proved to be the catalyst for the Macclesfield revival was almost unforgivable. He’d gotten away with it once but even at this level players can think and anticipate, something we fail to match. There is the odd glimmer here and there but.......
Like post
Like this post
02 December 2017 22:41 Post ID: #111813 - in reply to #111806
Simon Walton
Agree with most of the above, for 70 minutes that was the best performance of the season at home - discounting the Halifax win that came against a very poor side. Pools were the better side and effectively controlled the game throughout that period. Several players, Munns, Woods, Oates enjoyed their best games of the season however all three could and should have wrapped up the points long before Craig Harrison's inaction allowed Macclesfield to undeservedly steal the points.

I witnessed at least three players being told to prepare to take the field before Harrison changed his mind and obviously told them to sit down again. Munns and Magnay were in their last legs long before Hapless Harrison finally elected to utilise his substitutes and even then he clearly didn't know which players to use. Make no mistake this man is GROSSLY INCOMPETENT and needs to be replaced with someone who actually knows what he is doing before it is too late to mount a promotion challenge - if it is not already.
Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 00:37 Post ID: #111814 - in reply to #111806
Simon Walton
By all accounts we played very well today but we lost. It is no good playing well and losing, I reckon most folk would settle for playing badly and winning. Our last five games have yielded 1 win 1 draw and three defeats which is relegation form and makes the talk by Harrison and the players of promotion to be beyond a joke.
Like post
Like this post
06 December 2017 09:41 Post ID: #111815 - in reply to #111806
First game, second half of the season and a six pointer, well not really more of a 10 pointer as this is how far we are behind Saturday’s visitors. Teams with consistent behaviours are occupying top three berths.... Sutton, Macclesfield and Wrexham.

Let’s hope this Saturday’s is not another ten pointer as we just can’t afford it.

Like post
Like this post
06 December 2017 20:37 Post ID: #111816 - in reply to #111806
Sam Collins
I wasn't at Saturday's game so am unqualified to comment regarding the performance.
I notice from an earlier post that Smokin Joe considers the loss to be as a consequence of Craig Harrison's incompetence, a viewpoint he is entitled to and which I won't contest.
However, to SJ,and those others seeking Craig's dismissal, who out of Pools managerial appointments post Danny Wilson do you think have demonstrated competency? Do you consider changing manager now will benefit the club in the long term, and who do you think will be even interested in taking over as manager when you consider how long the last appointments have lasted?
Like post
Like this post
06 December 2017 22:14 Post ID: #111817 - in reply to #111816
Luke James
Quite right OP. People are always quick to say sack the manager but are never able to name a replacement that they are prepared to put money on doing better.

Not good enough I agree but would a new manager do better ? Probably not is my humble opinion.
Like post
Like this post
06 December 2017 23:41 Post ID: #111818 - in reply to #111806
Simon Walton
As I have posted elsewhere I was never in favour of Harrison’s appointment as Pools boss. IMHO he had what used to be called a ‘cushy number’ at lowly TNS who are effectively the Welsh League equivalent of Glasgow Celtic. He had never been tested at any level between there and the National League and had previously unsuccessfully applied for several management positions before being ‘snapped up’ by HUFC. One the club’s who turned Harrison down I believe was Gateshead FC. With all due respect I could not understand why someone who had been rejected by ‘the Heed’ should be considered good enough for Pools. However with the benefit of hindsight it would seem that it was either the inexperience of the new owners or was simply down to money i.e. Harrion was the cheap option - and probably talked his way around our new ‘football virgin’ owners.

OP is of course correct, very few of Pools recent managerial appointments have shown any signs of competence however let us not forget that they were all operating in a much tougher environment than that which Harrison finds himself in. If I was pushed I would suggest that Craig Hignett possibly deserves another opportunity to prove his worth - at this level I believe that he could perhaps produce the goods.

However when the time arrives that Harrison does go the way of all managerial flesh as he surely must, then I would like to see Jason Ainsley and Tommy Miller given a stab at the thankless Pools job. The pair have done exceedingly well at Spennymoor with a budget presumably much less than Harrison has enjoyed. I accept that they don’t have managerial experience at this level either but they have proved themselves at just a division below which is still several leagues above where Harrison should be operating given his background and inexperience.

I believe that both Ainsley and Miller would jump at the chance of returning to a ‘big club’ like Pools and the appointment of two former Poolies would fire up supporters and make for a refreshing change from the ‘Boro connection’ that to be brutally honest have brought nothing but failure and grief to the Vic over recent years.
Like post
Like this post
07 December 2017 08:39 Post ID: #111819 - in reply to #111806
Sam Collins
My view, for what it's worth, is that CH has displayed some inexperience / lack of nous in terms of tactics, player recruitment and motivation. Also, his cause has been hampered by injury to 'key' squad members, though I do have reservations about players getting hamstring strains in training (Franks and George). Hopefully, he has learnt from mistakes made and Pools will benefit long term.

Was CH's appointment "the cheap options", we'll never know, however I believe this premise is derived from Pools being unwilling to pursue Paul Cox once Barrow asked for compensation. Interestingly, Barrow parted company with Cox shortly after the start of the season and he is now working his "magic" at Guiseley!

I suspect that if Pam does bow to supporters pressure and dispense with CH's services then the next man in the managers chair will be Matty Bates, as I doubt the club will be able to afford or recruit anyone, with sufficient experience, from outside the Club.
As for the suggestion of appointing Jason Ainsley and Tommy Miller - see Smoking Joe's comments regarding the appointment of the inexperienced, at National League level, of Craig Harrison.
Like post
Like this post
07 December 2017 11:45 Post ID: #111820 - in reply to #111819
Luke James
If you assume that anyone with little experience is bound to fail then, presumably, you expect anybody with a lot of experience to work wonders ? Someone like Dave Jones for example. If I could turn back the clock I'd love to hear SJ's response to the appointment of Brian Clough.
Like post
Like this post
07 December 2017 23:23 Post ID: #111821 - in reply to #111806
Harrison doesn’t like losing, it’s something he’s not used to as a manager and having little experience of it, I think, is frantically looking for a solution. As long as he learns from his mistakes.

Deserves more time rather than sacking in my opinion. We’ve got into a process of removing managers when things go wrong and this is a major factor behind where we are currently. Looking at it from that perspective, we’ve, on a lot of occasions, ‘promoted’ back room staff from those already here, another problem rather than solution.

Constantly sacking those in charge doesn’t work, look at Leyton Orient. The players never mind the media have problems keeping up with who is in charge this week. Something like 8 managers in under two years hasn’t helped.

Depends on what was this terms agenda. If it was to consolidate this season and push on next surely we’re on target. If it was to get promoted we’re up against it but it’s not an impossible task. It’s December, the fat lady isn’t even in town.
Like post
Like this post
07 December 2017 23:47 Post ID: #111822 - in reply to #111806
Simon Walton
I don’t know why I bother posting my views in detail when it is apparent that some contributors seemingly can’t be arsed to either read or fully digest them. As stated above I conceded that Messrs Ainsley and Miller did not have experience at National League level however they do have invaluable experience of turning an impoverished club around in the division directly below which is still way above the Dog & Duck level of the Welsh League from which Craig Harrison emerged.

At no point did I infer that I was opposed to inexperienced managerial appointments per se and the reference to the great Brian Clough is positively childish. I am just about old enough to remember Cloughs years at the Vic and I recall that he made an immediate impact with a group of no-hopers facing re-election prior to assembling the promotion winning side on a shoestring budget before Gus McLean finished the job. All done in a higher League but with a much smaller budget comparatively speaking than Harrison reputedly had at his disposal on the black day that he was appointed as Pools boss.

I therefore reiterate that Harrison is not fit to be managing our club. The events of last Saturday provided further confirmation of this when he seemingly failed to see what everyone in the Vic including the seagulls on the Town End roof could not miss I.e. that several players such as Cassidy, Munns and Magnay were on their last legs after 75 minutes and were looking to the bench for relief.

That Harrison failed to act until Macc had equalised was disgraceful but almost as bad was Harrison ‘s failure to acknowledge that his inaction had contributed to the defeat when he finally emerged from pointing the finger at his players (deservedly so in some cases) at 7:00pm. FFS even the equally arrogant and under.fire Monk of the Borer had the decency to hold his hands up after his side’s latest defeat.
Like post
Like this post
08 December 2017 08:35 Post ID: #111823 - in reply to #111806
Case in point as recently as last Saturday. We go one up and are controlling the game, decision time: do we go for the jugular and attempt to win the game by adding to our goals or do we sit back and defend?

Poor decision making, whether it was on the part of the players or the manager, took pride of place and with twenty minutes to go we decide to defend handing the initiative to the opposition. Obviously they took it, made changes and got level.

All we had to do was take off Oates and Cassidy, the latter having no effect in either box (@70 mins) and replace them with Tomi and Devante just to give Macclesfield something to think about and maybe get that vital second goal.

Then the difference between a top three team and a mid table side became apparent. We would have settled for the draw and taken a point, they pushed, we folded and missed out on the top ten place we occupied at 80 minutes.

We need to be more convincing when in control particularly with something as fragile as a one goal lead. Throw caution to the wind, take the game by the scruff of the neck, don’t invite unnecessary pressure - why defend we know we’re not good at it at the minute.

All the pieces are there for a top three finish, it remains to be seen if we are able to fit them together correctly to firstly achieve that elusive top ten place then turn that into a top three finish come the end of April.

Like post
Like this post
08 December 2017 10:29 Post ID: #111824 - in reply to #111822
Luke James
Smokin Joe - 7/12/2017 23:47

I don’t know why I bother posting my views in detail when it is apparent that some contributors seemingly can’t be arsed to either read or fully digest them. As stated above I conceded that Messrs Ainsley and Miller did not have experience at National League level however they do have invaluable experience of turning an impoverished club around in the division directly below which is still way above the Dog & Duck level of the Welsh League from which Craig Harrison emerged.

I always read your posts Joe if only to wonder at your convoluted logic.

Let me see if I've got this right: You'd be happy with Ainsley and Miller who have limited experience at the level below where we are now but not happy with Harrison who has several years experience at a similar level including winning that league several times and leading teams into European competition ?

My reference to Brian Clough was to ask the question; if a similar renowned player with absolutely no managerial experience whatsoever was appointed by HUFC to replace Harrison what would be your reaction. I don't think you'd be happy but then I get the impression that you are never happy with whatever the hierarchy at HUFC does.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we all know now that Cloughie was, IMHO, the greatest football-team-manager the English league has ever seen. (please note my very careful phrasing of that statement).
Like post
Like this post
Pages (2):
Jump to forum: