Hartlepool United Forum - Macclesfield
Vital Football

Latest Hartlepool United News

Hartlepool United Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Doncaster MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Carson12%
Donnelly3%
Walker1%
Harrison0%
Magnay6%
Woods3%
Featherstone1%
Hawkins1%
Alessandra6%
Amond1%
Oates12%
Sub - Deverdics1%
Sub - Rodney50%
Sub - Simpson3%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Alfalfa6
2.Old Poolie5
3.Smokin Joe4
4.billytwodogs4
5.Block Sands2
6.Darlo Waiter1
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2): 1
Macclesfield
08 December 2017 23:02 Post ID: #111825 - in reply to #111806
Simon Walton
Congratulations BS you have finally managed to work out my ‘convoluted logic’ after several attempts. At the risk of repeating myself yet again, yes I would be happy with Ainsley & Miller who are currently proving their worth at an unfashionable side in a tough English League that includes several former FL clubs including Pools traditional local rivals in Darlo and York City. In contrast, before his unjustified appointment as Pools boss Harrison had a comparatively easy ride at a club without peers in what is a weak Welsh Wales League. Harrison’s very brief forays into European competition are totally irrelevant to his current role and therefore not even worthy of mention her. Not for the first time you have the audacity to judge me (ooh me ribs) by inferring that I would be happy with whoever the Pools hiererchy appoints as first team boss which is not the case. I recall being initially well satisfied with the appointment of Neale Cooper 2nd time around, John Hughes, Ronnie Moore and also Craig Hignett whom I really thought was the man to take Poold back to L1 - more fool me.

Anyway, enough of me - how about YOU explaining your seeming blind faith in Craig Harrison’s ability (and credibility) as Pools current boss, explaining in less than 500 words how the master tactician is going to lead the club from current mid-table mediocrity to the sunlit uplands of EFL L2 this side of May 2018? I am all ears fella.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
09 December 2017 11:29 Post ID: #111827 - in reply to #111825
Luke James
There you go again SJ. You were happy with managerial appointments that eventually turned out to be failures - I suppose we could say 'like so many HUFC managers'. Your list includes some who were initially heros that turned out to be zeros. I think you might have said that some of them where "the cheap option" so I don't think they had your overwhelming support.

I would have no problem seeing Ainsley and Miller at HUFC but, at present, there isn't a vacancy. You, and others, seem to want Craig Harrison sacked and somebody else, A & M in your case, appointed. In my view that's not a good idea (at present) because we have no way of knowing if somebody else could do a better job. I don't like the practice of sacking the manager as soon as things go a bit Pete Tong.

The back CVs of managers at this level are pretty meaningless. As we've seen vastly experienced managers have proved to be worse than useless and sometimes somebody with little experience turns out to be good - e.g .Cloughie and Chris Turner MkI. I think it's down to luck more than talent.

I don't have a blind faith in Craig Harrison. I accept that results are not as good as we'd all like. My point is only that sacking him now would be pointless and a huge gamble. In less that 500 words I don't expect CH to lead us to the promised land this season - it would be nice but not likely. I always look at a three year timescale for things to happen after a major change like relegation. Yr1 stop the rot; Yr2 consolidate; Yr3 go forward.
Like post
Like this post
09 December 2017 12:47 Post ID: #111829 - in reply to #111806
Simon Walton
The trouble with "Y1 stop the rot;Yr2 consolidate;Yr 3 go forward" is that if we dont go up this year, the parachute payment stops and we end up with a very large squad with less money to pay them. Besides, there will be few who will want to go because they want a career in the Football League. So in the summer we will have a smaller squad bereft of the few decent players we currently have which will make promotion even less likely next year. I am guessing that Pam is gambling that Harrison will get us up this season and has backed him financially but I have a suspicion that it it will all go pear shaped at the end of the season if we are still mid table which I suspect we all know is the most likely outcome. I am not advocating sacking Harrison because I dont see how anyone could "turn it round" at this stage unless they were able to sign four or five quality players which just cant happen. We will plod on with Harrison and embrace mediocrity. He might go at the end of the season when the balance sheet is examined and the bleakness of our future prospects dawns on everyone.
Like post
Like this post
09 December 2017 22:26 Post ID: #111855 - in reply to #111806
Simon Walton
The entirely moderate ambition of merely stopping the rot would appear to be well beyond the capability of the incompetent Harrison and his equally inept playing squad fast receding at present, The increasingly arrogant Harrison must surely concede that one win from the last seven games represents relegation form or perhaps this is a 'stat too far for the less-than-illustrious.

As for BS, as you failed to manage anywhere near 500 words to describe how your idol Harrison is going to lead the club back into L2 perhaps you could stretch your vocabulary to 50 words as to explain why a manager of a club with reputedly one of the biggest playing budgets in this Godforsaken league a) should not be summarily dismissed given shocking recent results and b) how he is going to avoid this hapless bunch being drawn into a post-Xmas battle against relegation to National League North?
Like post
Like this post
10 December 2017 13:48 Post ID: #111858 - in reply to #111855
Luke James
If you read my message Joe you will see that I covered how Harrison can lead this club back to L2. I simply don't think it will be this year. I haven't studied the form but how many clubs relegated from L2 make it back in their first year ?

In less that 50 words (a) because I'm not confident anyone is guaranteed to do better and (b) by finding the form we had earlier this season when we turned round a dreadful start.

Having said all that, in as few words as possible, I have never said Harrison can't be faulted. Of course he can. Having lost heavily in the last few games he must be on notice to sort it out or else. Loose to Workington and I'll probably be joining your side.
Like post
Like this post
10 December 2017 21:59 Post ID: #111859 - in reply to #111806
Simon Walton
I don't think anyone seriously expected an immediate return to L2 BS, however after almost two months of incessant pre-season hype from Harrison and a consequent increase in expectations, we were all justified in expecting significantly more than Harrison and his hapless minions have delivered to date.

I am pleased to hear that you are beginning to see the light however in my view Harrison is (or should be) a dead man walking already regardless of the forthcoming irrelevant Tin Pot Cup result against lowly Workington. Having said that if Aunty Pam is looking for a conscience-preserving excuse to dismiss CH then this is could be it. Personally I think she will bottle it either way due to the proximity of Christmas although CH needs to be dispatched ASAP in my opinion - there is no room for sentiment in business and to further procrastinate would be wasting priceless time. A proper manager needs to be appointed in order to sort the mess that is the present day HUFC as soon as is practicably possible.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (2): 1
Jump to forum: