Hartlepool United Forum - Home Form
Vital Football

Latest Hartlepool United News

Hartlepool United Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Doncaster MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Carson12%
Donnelly3%
Walker1%
Harrison0%
Magnay6%
Woods3%
Featherstone1%
Hawkins1%
Alessandra6%
Amond1%
Oates12%
Sub - Deverdics1%
Sub - Rodney50%
Sub - Simpson3%
Write for Vital Football
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Alfalfa6
2.Old Poolie5
3.Smokin Joe4
4.billytwodogs4
5.Block Sands2
6.Darlo Waiter1
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Home Form
20 November 2017 19:14 Post ID: #111782
Simon Walton
Won 3 Drawn 3 lost 4. Goals scored 9.

Pretty poor for a team supposedly cherishing ideas of promotion. There are only six teams in the National League with worse home records than us. Only Torquay have scored less home goals than us (8). Our last home win was a 1-0 against Barrow with a last minute goal after we were bossed by a team supposedly inferior to us.

So despite all the talk, the Victoria Park faithful are served up dross game after game. It is a wonder they keep turning up in such numbers. I am trying to think of any reason why the Halifax game will be any different but I cant think of one.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
20 November 2017 23:20 Post ID: #111783 - in reply to #111782
Simon Walton
I’m not sure that many fans are ‘cherishing ideas of promotion’ anymore Alf and I certainly don’t believe that Craig Harrison has ever entertained such thoughts. He has of course had to make noises regarding promotion in order to placate an increasing number of fans who are fast losing whatever faith they may have had in him.

Despite his (many) failings Harrison is not stupid and must surely appreciate that this squad is totally inadequate in all areas except goalkeeper to be able to mount a realistic promotion push. My bet is that he is banking on being able to rid the club of the remaining players who got us into this accursed league at the end of the season and take it from there.
Not that his own signings have pulled up any trees either - let’s hope that most of these are on 12x month contracts only.

Finally, surely the only reason why the fans are still turning up in numbers to watch this dross is the fact that most of them are season ticket holders. Harrison and the owners need to appreciate that there will be a significant number including myself who have renewed for one season only on the basis that the club would make a decent fist at returning to the EFL at the first attempt. Sadly that ain’t gonna happen so Aunty Pam and co may expect to see a huge drop in ST sales next summer I’m afraid.

And yes you can expect more of the same old, same old against Halifax Town.
Like post
Like this post
21 November 2017 17:36 Post ID: #111784 - in reply to #111782
Fantasy Football Champion 08/09
With them having no win in the last eight league games and conceding over twice as many as they have scored during that time, need we be worried? It’s got 0-0 written all over it.

No way will we take the initiative and start on the front foot, we’ll want to get to halftime
at 0-0 as the gaffer will not want to lose, dropping more valuable points to those around us. He’s playing a dangerous game [going for the draw] as someone said on Saturday “draw two games get two points, lose one and win one get three points”. Unbeaten runs are all well and good if there’s a smattering of wins in there, if they’re all draws we’ll struggle to finish mid table, unbeaten run or not.

Bull by the horns, three upfront, no Harrison, bench Rodney, game over as a contest by half time.

Like post
Like this post
21 November 2017 18:34 Post ID: #111785 - in reply to #111782
Simon Walton
According to the Mail Halifax have not won for 9 games league and cup. I bet a few Yorkshiremen are down the bookies tonight putting a tenner on them picking up a win. Would anyone be surprised?
Like post
Like this post
21 November 2017 19:12 Post ID: #111786 - in reply to #111782
Simon Walton
Not me - having seen Harrison’s team selection I will be surprised if Halifax don’t win comfortably.
Like post
Like this post
21 November 2017 19:55 Post ID: #111787 - in reply to #111782
Simon Walton
Harrison reunited with Laing in central defence. What could possibly go wrong? Halifax would have to be unbelievably poor to lose against us tonight. Franks not even playing so our goal threat has diminished from not a lot to absolutely zero.
Like post
Like this post
21 November 2017 20:42 Post ID: #111788 - in reply to #111782
Simon Walton
I must say I am flabbergasted. Three up at half time!! Surely even we cant cock this up, can we? We can even afford a couple Laing and Harrison specials. Here's hoping for good second half.
Like post
Like this post
21 November 2017 21:58 Post ID: #111789 - in reply to #111782
Simon Walton
Bloomin 'eck. Halifax must have been sadly lacking but hey 4 goals and three points.
Like post
Like this post
21 November 2017 22:43 Post ID: #111790 - in reply to #111782
Simon Walton
Firstly, credit where it is due to Harrison for his seemingly weird and wonderful team selection and to his players for finally giving the home fans something to shout about. No-one can seriously argue with the performance or result tonight - but even the most crimson-faced of the red spex brigade cannot possibly have seen that one coming.

Let us put this in perspective however, Halifax are a very poor side on the strength of this display and Pools have failed to secure anywhere near the 9 point target set by Harrison for the last three games.

The challenge over the next three games is a much more daunting one and if Harrison is serious about mounting a promotion challenge his side is going to have to break into the playoff places the hard way against Ebbsfleet and Dover away - with a tough looking home game against Macclesfield sandwiched between the two.

The side has flattered to deceive far too often this season for me to get carried away by a single half- decent performance but at least some hope has been restored after the pathetic display of Saturday last.
Like post
Like this post
22 November 2017 00:07 Post ID: #111791 - in reply to #111782
Fantasy Football Champion 08/09
Not sure selection was weird or wonderful, just necessary.....as it will be in a couple of games.

We’re here for a reason, similarly the players are here for the same reason....we’re inconsistent!!

Woods was very good tonight, full of energy, enterprise and endeavour (couldn’t think of another word for attitude but beginning with ‘e’) as was Newton, both allowing Featherstone (who was very poor on Saturday) to do what he does best. Unfortunate thing is, this only lasts a couple of games before reverting back to type, that’s when it needs changes.

Harrison was diabolical on Saturday but coped well tonight. We know what we’re going to get with Oates (not the best pools player but loads of attitude and hard work, ten Rhys Oates will get you out of this league but would probably get you relegated from the one above) .
Loach is probably the only consistent one in the squad.

I’m not one for tinkering but change is necessary every so often otherwise games like Fylde at home and Aldershot at home happen.

It’s Harrison’s job to decide when change is due, sometimes he’s right sometimes he’s wrong.
When he is right on a consistent basis we’ll achieve our goals.

Like post
Like this post
22 November 2017 11:04 Post ID: #111792 - in reply to #111782
Simon Walton
Good post Billy. Especially the bit about Woods and co being good for a couple of games and then reverting to type. Fingers crossed for Ebbsfleet: I'd settle for a 1-0 and three more points.
Like post
Like this post
22 November 2017 13:38 Post ID: #111793 - in reply to #111782
Simon Walton
Agreed, that was a good post from Billy and I would agree with most of it. I accept that the players are (very) inconsistent otherwise they would not be here but plying their trade at a higher level. However, One man who has no excuse forinconsistency is Craig Harrison who needs to ensure that half-assed team selections, tactics and performances like those witnessed in the Shots game are not repeated during the remainder of the season.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: