Hartlepool United Forum - Tranmere
Vital Football

Latest Hartlepool United News

Hartlepool United Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Doncaster MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Carson12%
Donnelly3%
Walker0%
Harrison0%
Magnay7%
Woods1%
Featherstone1%
Hawkins0%
Alessandra7%
Amond1%
Oates12%
Sub - Deverdics1%
Sub - Rodney52%
Sub - Simpson3%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Alfalfa9
2.Smokin Joe6
3.billytwodogs5
4.torrej1
5.Block Sands1
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Tranmere
24 October 2017 17:09 Post ID: #111744
Fantasy Football Champion 08/09
Suffered a bit of a blip at the weekend, can we compound their misery tonight?

They will probably be a big strong side, similar to Sutton.

Said a couple of threads ago we’ll know where we are after the Sutton game, I don’t think we’re strong enough physically or mentally to break the top 7 but probably top ten finish this term.

Back to tonight, think a draw is best we can hope for.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
24 October 2017 22:44 Post ID: #111745 - in reply to #111744
Simon Walton
Another very disappointing performance tonight reinforcing my opinion that this side is nowhere near good enough to mount a play-off challenge in what is a very poor league. Far too many sub standard performances from key players didn't help the cause with the midfield trio of Woods, Featherstone and Hawkins being equally inept. Deverdics was the best player on the pitch but even he had lapses when he looked ordinary.

Rodney may not be the finished article and is a bit of a hot-head but he is still head and shoulders above his replacement the inept Conor Simpson who brings absolutely nothing to the table - he wasnt even nuisance value tonight, failing to win the ball in the air and displaying no other positive attributes whatsoever. Oates wasn't much better, Franks blew hot and cold and in all honesty apart from a worldie save from their cheating keeper in the first half we never really looked like scoring from open play.
Like post
Like this post
24 October 2017 23:27 Post ID: #111746 - in reply to #111744
Simon Walton
Yes as I have said before, we are difficult to beat but we don't have the quality to win enough games to entertain any thought of play offs. Perhaps if Watson and Cassidy get back to fitness we might improve a little but it is not looking good.

Edited by Alfalfa 24/10/2017 23:28
Like post
Like this post
25 October 2017 23:25 Post ID: #111747 - in reply to #111744
Simon Walton
Many of the players simply weren't at the races last night but Harrison must take his share of criticism for his ludicrous 'tactic' of continually pulling every Pools player back into the penalty area for opposition corners and free kicks. I don't know wtf it is supposed to achieve but the stupidity of the exercise was exposed when the Rovers centre back still managed to find acres of space in which to power home a free header for the equaliser.

Also, whilst I appreciate that Watson is a class act at this level, I would question if the club can afford to (presumably) pay doubtless substantial wages for an indefinite period with no guarantee that he will be available for selection during the course of this season? It is painfully obvious that the side is desperately in need of an injection of quality both in midfield and upfront where this cash would surely be better spent now that the likes of Ledger, Laing and Donnelly appear to have finally got their act together in central defence.

Finally I would ak what Mumms has got to do to earn a opportunity to prove his myself in the side. Harrison appears to only allow this lad, who although small in stature is nevertheless one of the few decent footballers at the club IMO. Mumms gets just 45 minutes here and there whilst the likes of Hawkins, Featherstone and Woods who have each repeatedly put in some rank performances this season appear to be untouchable for some reason.

You may have gathered from the above that I have serious reservations regarding Harrison being man enough for the game the task in hand i.e. at the very least taking us into the playoffs. This seems unattainable at present with this group of players and a dubiously qualified manager.
Like post
Like this post
25 October 2017 23:43 Post ID: #111748 - in reply to #111744
Simon Walton
He seems to have an obsession with a settled team thus he he prefers not to disrupt the Hawkins, Featherstone, Woods midfield trio. He doesn't seem to notice if any of them or all of them have a loss of form. I dont think he is sure how Munns fits into his dream team. We have scraped a few wins but have only ever looked convincing in the Maidstone game. Next Saturday we face a Torquay side just starting to find form with their new manager. I would not be surprised if we lost.
Like post
Like this post
26 October 2017 12:17 Post ID: #111749 - in reply to #111744
Personally think the midfield is the weakest link, yet this is the only area which remains untouched even after suffering a serious lack of form, there are the odd change for injury or illness.

Saturday saw Donnelly put in a canny performance in the absence of Featherstone and he should have retained his place for Tuesday. But he does like a bit of a tinker, so Harrison sticks him in the centre of defence, dropping Ledger back to the bench, undeservedly in my opinion. The form option could easily have seen Donnelly replace Woods or Hawkins. Hawkins is not improving and Woods’ form has bottomed out.

I don’t think Harrison has seen his best eleven in their strongest positions or indeed if he knows his his best eleven and their strongest positions. Particularly as our most inventive attacking player is currently plying his trade at left back?? Adams is fit surely the left side should consist of Adams and Deverdics, preferably with Devs furthest forward! They are both attack minded.

We’re not winning our battles in midfield. There’s no bite in there, George is fit or Donnelly could fit [the bill] but we’ll continue to play Woods until his confidence hits rock bottom and Hawkins goes into reverse. There’s very little creativity in there as well, apart from Devs contribution, maybe Munns can unlock defences but again I feel Harrison is judging him on his size rather than his ability.

Poor Connor Simpson was fed to the lions on Tuesday but with Devante becoming increasingly reckless we were risking finishing the game with ten men. We need a fit Cassidy back to lead the line.

Hopefully post Christmas will see a fully fit squad at Harrison’s disposal and until then it looks like we’re just keeping in touch with the pack. Risky strategy but with the league so tight, we’re not losing ground points wise so something is going right, could it be going better though??
Like post
Like this post
26 October 2017 13:30 Post ID: #111750 - in reply to #111744
Just seen this on another forum and this would be my “eleven in the drawer” (copyright Merson)

...........................Loach........................

Magnay.........Watson....Ledger......Adams

.............Featherstone...Donnelly .............

Franks................Munns.............Deverdics

.......................Cassidy..........................

Set out exactly like this. Should be there or thereabouts come end of season.
Like post
Like this post
26 October 2017 22:29 Post ID: #111751 - in reply to #111744
Simon Walton
Looks a damn good selection to me.
Like post
Like this post
27 October 2017 11:52 Post ID: #111752 - in reply to #111744
Think it looks a decent balance of left and right sided players and attacking and defending players with a little bit of creativity thrown in, on the occasion the opposition break us down they’ve still got to get past Loach.
Like post
Like this post
27 October 2017 15:16 Post ID: #111753 - in reply to #111744
Simon Walton
Only small issue is that Cassidy and Watson are out injured and Magnay looks as though he will be out with a hernia problem sooner or later. Cassidy is apparently making good progress but ominous silence about Watson. Probably wont be seeing him in a Pools shirt for some time to come.
Like post
Like this post
27 October 2017 18:16 Post ID: #111754 - in reply to #111744
The business end of the season kicks in around Christmas time, anticipating an injury free squad at the turn of the year.
Like post
Like this post
27 October 2017 21:25 Post ID: #111755 - in reply to #111744
Simon Walton
The above looks a decent side on paper but sadly that is where it will remain as there are several perennial sick notes in that line-up not to mention some very inconsistent performers. As for Watson, I questioned above why the hell is the club throwing good money after bad for this guy when it seems obvious that he will not play regularly - if at all - this season - lets get rid and spend the cash on more worthwhile projects.

Putting aside a midfield desperately lacking in decent footballers, with the 'ever-improving' Conor Simpson (the words of the local rag ace reporter Roy Kelly - ooh me firkin ribs), two of Harrison's recent highly dubious signings out through 'unspecified injuries' (??!!) and Del Boy Rodney seemingly hell-bent on getting himself sent off in every game, the 'strike force' of Oates and Franks (?) could certainly do with an injection of life pending the (eventual) return of the legendary Cassidy.

IMO it is only a matter of time before the cracks in Harrison's half-baked squad that have been papered over by a string of very fortunate results are laid bare for all to see - and this could well be the case tomorrow against a fast-improving Gulls outfit.
Like post
Like this post
28 October 2017 15:40 Post ID: #111756 - in reply to #111744
Simon Walton
Well we have hung on to 0-0 at half time. No idea how the game is going.
Like post
Like this post
28 October 2017 16:23 Post ID: #111758 - in reply to #111744
Simon Walton
Two up with 20 to go. Can we hold out? I expect by now we are defending the edge of our box inviting them to attack.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: