Hartlepool United Forum - Retained List
Vital Football

Latest Hartlepool United News

Hartlepool United Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Doncaster MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Carson12%
Donnelly3%
Walker1%
Harrison0%
Magnay6%
Woods3%
Featherstone1%
Hawkins1%
Alessandra6%
Amond1%
Oates12%
Sub - Deverdics1%
Sub - Rodney50%
Sub - Simpson3%
Write for Vital Football
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Alfalfa6
2.Old Poolie5
3.Smokin Joe4
4.billytwodogs4
5.Block Sands2
6.Darlo Waiter1
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Retained List
17 May 2017 17:07 Post ID: #111547
Luke James
Kieran Green has moved on to Gateshead, as advised on OS with further details of retained and released players to be posted on Thursday.

This might suggest we may also get to know a little more about the management team?
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
17 May 2017 17:52 Post ID: #111550 - in reply to #111547
Luke James
The new manager is supposed to be announced in the next couple of days so, by now, he must already be decided upon bar the contractual details. He would expect to be involved in deciding which players can go and would need a few days to find out, from others in the club, who's worth keeping. UNLESS he already knows them well.

Ergo, Sam Collins is the new manager (with Bates as assistant rather than Moore)
Like post
Like this post
17 May 2017 21:43 Post ID: #111551 - in reply to #111550
Luke James
Would appear, according to Northern Echo, that a decision regarding the new manager will now be deferred into next week, and that the retained list has been drawn up by Head of Recruitment and the scout brought in by Jones.
Can only assume that the retained list will reflect Dave Jones's player assessment, fully expecting a wholesale clearout with only those who might command a transfer fee being retained!!!!
Like post
Like this post
18 May 2017 14:10 Post ID: #111554 - in reply to #111547
Luke James
Well the retained list has now been posted on the OS and is not the wholesale clearout I had predicted (hoped for), can only assume that players with existing contracts have, in typical Hartlepool style, been told they can stay and see their contracts out. Other clubs would at least put them on the transfer list!

Becoming less confident of our prospects for next season, and I wasn't in anyway confident in the first place.
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 11:52 Post ID: #111555 - in reply to #111547
Fantasy Football Champion 08/09
Those retained [some possibly against their will, due to contracts] can make fist of a quick return to league football. Carson, Magnay, Harrison, Walker, Donnelly and Richardson should make a decent defence in the national league and Deverdics, Allessandra, Hawkins and either/or, please not both together at any time, Featherstone and Woods can surely be a midfield that at least copes. The front line, Rodney and Amond should get decent service [from Devs and Allessandra, at least] terrorise a few defences, and get a few goals into the bargain. Then the unknown quantities of Bates, fitness wise and Simpson, experience wise.

For me this is an exciting adventure. We have some good footballers in there, some grafters and some prospects. Personally I would love to be in charge of this group going into the national league, as I'm sure people, particularly those who are familiar with certain individuals would love it.

We can't be complacent but that's not a bad squad, low in number and maybe confidence, and any open minded manager willing to bend and shape not only the players but themselves, for the good of the club as a whole and not not be single minded and with a "it's my way or the highway" type approach will do very well.

That's the business end sorted now....the 'real' business end!

We all know where the club is haemorrhaging, we know the leech who is draining the life blood from the club we have to try and do something about that. We can't do it on our own, with all the good, honest intentions of a fan owned trust. Maybe in the first instance but it will be difficult to sustain. I'm not sure Pam wants to become the 'next Karen Brady' but wants to work with a fans trust to get things moving, and some of her money back.

If she just wants her money back and move on, personally, I think she is being a bit short sighted. She only has to look at when the club is either in the sunshine or the sh!te. The town and surrounding area will back the team during these times no doubt, we look at Sunderland away, Millennium stadium, Darlington away (Eiffion's brace), more recently Carlisle and Doncaster at home, there's loads more examples. "If you build it they will come".

There is money to be made, but the product has to be good, that's why we need to get the first step right....appointing the right manager. I would rather we didn't look back and instead opted for someone without previous connections to the club.

Second step is to stem the blood flow, this will almost instantly see a transfusion in the form of season ticket money and could be the catalyst for further, new investment, the possibilities are endless.
Pam has to pour salt over the leech and remove him totally, we cannot move forward dragging a ball and chain the size we are currently.
Pam knows what it's all about I'm sure. How good would it be for her to succeed in such a male dominated industry? Is she up for the fight? Does she have the never say die attitude?

Get it right, get back into the league, get back the football money FA, FL, PL dare I say even TV?Get the club on a stable footing and what's to say we cannot be almost self sustaining?

Onwards and upwards
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 13:28 Post ID: #111556 - in reply to #111547
Simon Walton
I am pretty sure a number of the players you say can help make a return to the football league will be gone in the next few weeks: they will want to play in the Football League next season with other clubs and for all we know may have relegation clauses in their contracts. I guess much will depend on who gets the managers job and if they want to work with them.

The financial side of things feels me with depression.
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 15:22 Post ID: #111557 - in reply to #111555
Luke James
A well-thought-out critique as always Billy. I agree with some of your points and disagree with others:

As you say the remaining players - with some decent additions - should be able to, at least, hold their own. They demonstrated last season they were capable of playing decent football. I think the problems were down to poor coaching rather than just the players abilities. Yes we still have some decent players but some of them will go before next season. I think Carson will definitely be sold and possibly some of the others.

The key, more than ever, will be the manager. If he can inspire those players we should do OK. I'm not convinced by Sam Collins although I think he's been a very good player and has willingly stepped in as manager when he didn't have much chance of achieving anything. I don't think "experience" at higher FL levels is relevant. Dave Jones had loads of experience. My preference among those on the short list (at least in the Mail) would be the guy from Wales. He's done wonders at this level.

On the "real business" :

You talk about a leech without naming names (probably a good thing unless you've got very good lawyers) but is there evidence that money is being taken out of the club ? Isn't it just down to simple L2 economics ? We know how much, on average, has been put into HUFC each year over the past 15yrs or so. I haven't seen anybody getting rich on the profits. Maybe somebody can prove different (note "prove")

It may be that those who have put money in will one day want their money back. That's life I'm afraid. Football is a business.

You say "The town and surrounding area will back the team during these times" No they won't. As I've said many times before 95% of the population of Hartlepool and surroundings couldn't care less if the club lives or dies. Oh they might come out in numbers for special occasions but generally speaking the club is, and always has been, poorly supported numerically and that's the reason we have always been Cinderella. Only when a body such as IOR have put in loads of money have we achieved anything in the relatively long term.

"If you build it they will come". No they won't. What was the typical attendance when we were in the L1 playoffs for most of a season up to the final. 5500 maybe (without looking it up). Did we ever get the 6000plus like Doncaster the other week without the opposition bringing loads ?

You say "There is money to be made," No there isn't. Apart from maybe 10 mega clubs, football clubs are financial black-holes. Football finances are notoriously dodgy but I don't think anybody ever made a fortune from running a club like HUFC.

A Fans Trust sounds like a nice idea but where's the money coming from ?

Personally I'm looking forward to next season like I always do and have done for about 65yrs.
The quality of football in the National League is not far off L2 standard and it could be good to watch. Maybe we'll have found our natural level and can thrive.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: