Hartlepool United Forum - 'The Fat Lady' . . .
Vital Football

Latest Hartlepool United News

Hartlepool United Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Doncaster MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Carson12%
Donnelly3%
Walker1%
Harrison0%
Magnay6%
Woods3%
Featherstone1%
Hawkins1%
Alessandra6%
Amond1%
Oates12%
Sub - Deverdics1%
Sub - Rodney50%
Sub - Simpson3%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Alfalfa6
2.Old Poolie5
3.Smokin Joe4
4.billytwodogs4
5.Block Sands2
6.Darlo Waiter1
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
'The Fat Lady' . . .
22 March 2017 11:17 Post ID: #111233
Luke James
Is yet to start warming up her tonsils to bring down the curtain on the 2016/17 EFL season. With 8 games remaining Pools are in a, relatively, strong position 8 points clear of second from bottom Newport County. However, I don't think we can yet start to consider ourselves safe from relegation; this division often produces unexpected results and runs of unanticipated form!
Easter will prove, I feel sure, to be the watershed in the fight against relegation with the results against Carlisle and Leyton Orient instrumental in determining Pools' Destiny.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
29 March 2017 06:05 Post ID: #111377 - in reply to #111233
Fantasy Football Champion 08/09
It's going to be close no doubt. I almost expected this when Jones arrived, and said so on here.

My thoughts were that he has been out of the game for so long his impact on pools would be one extreme or the other, we would either finish third bottom or in the last play off spot. It looks like the former. Thankfully with seven games left we [currently] have more points than three other teams. Who is to say that will stay the same at the final whistle on May 6th.

The 'winnable' games unfortunately are all away from home and are six pointers, Orient & Cheltenham. They will be scrapping for the points and as we know we, on a lot of occasions, come out second best in a scrap. Our performance usually reflects the opposition whereby we play well against the good sides and poor against those at the lower end of the division. So absolutely anything could happen.

Some good games coming up and Easter to boot.

Like post
Like this post
11 April 2017 14:14 Post ID: #111419 - in reply to #111233
As she warms up I've had a quick look at the run ins of those who are potentially in danger of the drop. Realistically Leyton Orient need a miracle of biblical proportions to survive so this should leave one place for five clubs to avoid: Newport, Pools, Cheltenham, Morecambe and to a lesser extent Yeovil.

Morecambe probably have the hardest run in playing sides who currently occupy 4th, 5th, 6th, 10th & 11th places.

Newport possibly the next most difficult facing those in 2nd, 7th, 12th, 15th & 20th.

Cheltenham look likely to have the next hardest run in, facing 3rd, 8th, 14th, 18th & 22nd placed opponents.

Yeovil and Pools have similar run ins,
Pools coming up against sides in 1st, 7th, 16th, 21st & 24th positions

Yeovil, go against those currently holding 5th, 10th, 14th, 17th & 23rd berths.

Pools & Yeovil out of those five look to have, on paper at least, the easier run in. Granted teams involved in any potential relegation dogfight should prove difficult opponents, shame this never seems to be the case for pools players but is often the choice of excuse mooted by managers, particularly pools managers when underperforming against such opponents.

It is so close to call and this league has been so bad this term it has been and still is so hard to predict. There are possibly 8 clubs vying for 4 play off spots and the other extreme 5 clubs trying to avoid that last relegation place.

It's quite possible that Newport win all there remaining home games (Yeovil, Accrington & Notts County) and Morecambe lose all their remaining games and we see Newport finish one point above them. Newport may well yet crash & burn.

Cheltenham may well get something from their away game against Crawley and home games versus Pools & Grimsby.

Yeovil need to beat Newport on Friday to steady their nerves and Newport need to win to continue their charge toward safety.

All this speculation leaves Pools needing to get something out of Carlisle, 1pt keeps our head above water...just if Newport win, 3pts will apply pressure not only to Newport, should they lose, but to those looking over their shoulder at us. If we lose we may well be second bottom but all is not yet lost. The two games we have to win are against those fighting for their league 2 lives in Cheltenham and those fighting for pride in Leyton Orient, they will want to take us with them no doubt.

It promises to be a good Friday but nothing will be settled by 5 o'clock. All pie in the sky I know until the final whistle against Donny or when the fat lady actually finishes that long, high note.

Like post
Like this post
14 April 2017 22:04 Post ID: #111427 - in reply to #111233
Must win game against Orient, as I can see Newport [who shouldn't get anything against Plymouth] getting something from their remaining three games, Accrington at home, Carlisle away and Notts County at home. Even if it is only a point from each.

We're up against it no doubt but it s still in our hands. Beat Orient, draw against Barnet and beat Cheltenham and pray and hope for anything against Donny. Confidently predict Yeovil & Cheltenham will get at least a point from their games on Monday, meaning anything other than a win leaves us [deservedly] stirring firmly at both barrels. A win and the other two lose, we climb a place and Yeovil get the jitters and we gain momentum. Again we cannot look to Newport, we have to assume they are safe, i'm sure they think they are.

It's Cheltenham, us or Yeovil as I can't see Newport losing momentum (edit) even with the game against Plymouth.

I'm certain about nothing, other than Jones is not the person to get us out of this.

Edited by billytwodogs 16/4/2017 18:42
Like post
Like this post
15 April 2017 10:49 Post ID: #111428 - in reply to #111427
Luke James
Main worry for me is that Jones is saying the players have the experience of fighting relegation and he and his staff haven't so it's up to the players to get us out of the mess. Not a good attitude and, whatever happens, I think Jones and his team are not up to the job of managing a lower fourth division (or possibly lower) team.
Like post
Like this post
15 April 2017 12:18 Post ID: #111429 - in reply to #111233
Simon Walton
The argument is that back in the day, Jones did well with Stockport who were strugglers at the time. Since then football has changed and Jones grasp of lower league football may not be as good as it once was. Newport are showing promotion form at the moment and look pretty certain to be safe. I would be surprised if Plymouth beat them. Orient got a moral boosting draw at Luton who are at the top of the play off contenders so I am not too optimistic that we can win on Monday, probably another draw. As I have said before, this is the season when the last few years of uncertainty and poor management will finally take their toll. We really can't expect to do the great escape year on year.
Like post
Like this post
15 April 2017 22:07 Post ID: #111430 - in reply to #111233
Luke James
Difference this time is that we aren't trying for a Great Escape as we are yet to occupy either of the relegation spots.
Hopefully, the players now realise their predicament and we can muster the necessary points to avoid the drop!

Keep the Faith
Like post
Like this post
16 April 2017 18:57 Post ID: #111433 - in reply to #111233
Simon Walton
Well if the players have only just realised now that we are in a predicament they want their arses kicked.
Even though we have not occupied a relegation spot so far, I am confident we will do by tea time tomorrow.
Like post
Like this post
17 April 2017 22:08 Post ID: #111449 - in reply to #111233
Luke James
I guess the Fat Lady has now got her tonsils fully stretched, ready to deliver the closing aria on the season. TBH I'm concerned at the tune she appears to be rehearsing as it won't bring any comfort to us diehard Pools fans!

It is around 50years that I have been trudging to the Vic to support Pools and during that time I have rarely felt as despondent as I do at present. I can remember times when the club went "cap in hand" to get re-elected, the Gary Gibson days of almost financial meltdown; not to mention the Great Escape fortuitously engineered by Ronnie Moore. I guess, inevitably, Pools' luck was going to run out and it would appear.............?
Like post
Like this post
18 April 2017 00:06 Post ID: #111452 - in reply to #111233
Simon Walton
Well I can only muster 45 years of obsession though I am now based in Essex. I think I might drive up for the Donny game as it will be our last game in the footy league for quite some time.... possibly ever. There have been some ups and downs as a Poolie but like you Old Poolie, I have never felt so despondent as I do at this moment.
Like post
Like this post
18 April 2017 09:45 Post ID: #111455 - in reply to #111233
From a fan's point of view it is the worse thing to happen in the hundred and odd year history of the club. I can imagine looking from a financial perspective, particularly to those who don't know football, in theory it's quite an attractive proposition: parachute payment meaning no immediate financial penalty for falling out of the league, charging same price for season and match day tickets, lower wage bill as the experienced players will want to be away and we'll employ youngsters, the false premise that we will be a 'big fish in a small pond' and on field success will breed off field wealth.

The reality of it is the parachute payment will, along with any upfront season ticket money, get swallowed up by those with their own interests at heart rather than invested where needed. We'll get what we pay for player wise and as was once famously quoted "you'll win nowt with kids".
The real warning to those with their eye on the money as opposed to the ball is look around that league, it's littered with the filleted remains of so called big fish.
It's a massive ask to get back first time particularly when your cloth is cut as ours will almost definitely be. There is a distinct possibility that if we fail to succeed and the powers that be, god forbid, get their hands on the ground; they then put it to another use.

Football clubs are often referred to as modes of public transport i.e. buses, in respect of 'parking the bus' 'this bus drives itself' even the tenuous link of 'the wheels coming off'.
I have no idea who is in charge of our bus but I am viewing it as the final scene of 'The Italian job' whereby the rear wheels of their bus, similarly to those of ours, are over the edge of a precipice, those with any decision making powers are inside totally focussed on a pile of gold over the rear wheels, edging slowly closer to the prize not realising their tunnel vision is taking them [and us] over the edge.

The only apparent difference in the two scenarios: the fate of the 'Italian job' bus was never revealed whereas our fate will be sealed no later than May 6th.

Like post
Like this post
18 April 2017 13:55 Post ID: #111456 - in reply to #111233
Simon Walton
I know there are success stories of clubs who lost their league status (Bristol Rovers springs to mind) but there are plenty of ex league clubs languishing in the National League and even lower: Halifax for example; once regular opponents and now almost gone. Lincoln on their way back but it has taken them years. So no, I don't see relegation as some kind of opportunity to improve the club. It will be an unmitigated disaster.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: