Hartlepool United Forum - A game of two mistakes
Vital Football

Latest Hartlepool United News

Hartlepool United Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Doncaster MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Sub - Deverdics1%
Sub - Rodney50%
Sub - Simpson3%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
2.Old Poolie1
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
A game of two mistakes
26 December 2016 19:38 Post ID: #110697
Antony Sweeney
Thought it was a pretty even game today and I thought we did alright. Game hinged on two events for me.

One, Paynter giving the ball away on the edge of their area. Pass, pass and bang the ball was in the back of our net. Right as we were having our most promising spell. He had the chance to lay it off or shoot and just ran into trouble. Haven't seen the goal back but I'm pretty sure we shouldn't have been letting them go from one end right down the other to score.

Second mistake was Hignett taking off Paynter for Amond. Despite that error Paynter was coming into the game and we were attacking more and more. Why make a like-for-like swap? Especially when Laurent was having a stinker in the middle. We'd given up on having shape and were just bombing forward so why not gamble and throw another striker on? It was the last 10 minutes of the game!

The penalty was appalling and it shows the lack of character in our team. Where was the lads looking confident and stepping up? We don't have them kind of players, apart from Billy who had been benched by that point.

It was doubly frustrating as if the penalty had gone in I could have seen us going onto win the game. We'd have had all the momentum.

One big positive was Rhys Oates who worked hard and actually had some end product. Massive next two games. I said we needed 5 or 6 points from today, Morecambe and Accrington. This one has gone but we desperately need to pick up some points and then next two are against poor sides.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
26 December 2016 21:32 Post ID: #110698 - in reply to #110697
Fantasy Football Champion 08/09
Don't think Hignett knows his arse from his elbow let alone his best eleven. Paynter should have been hooked straight after they scored, he did it to Allessandra after the penalty miss. At least Amond would have given the defence something to think about. Laurent had a decent 45 but that's all he is, nothing more. His better players warmed the bench today.

Hignett has an outstanding player in Carson, some very good players as in Donnelly, some good players as in Featherstone, Hawkins, Deverdics, Bates, Martin, Amond and Allessandra. Some average players as in Harrison and Carroll, some dross and some untried. Unfortunate thing is he has no idea how to use any of them potently. No idea how or when to effect change to positively influence a game. No idea of their strengths and weaknesses.

We are well and truly, along with three other sides, in the brown stuff [Notts County are in a false position] this could very well be our year. Frustrating thing is, is this the worst last tier ever? There is some absolute pap in this league unfortunately we are amongst the worse of the worst. The table doesn't lie, we are actually regressing under Hignett, probably up to the point were we drop into the bottom two [and it will come under the current regime]. It needs sorting, when we're in the bottom two it will be too late.

Like post
Like this post
27 December 2016 12:14 Post ID: #110701 - in reply to #110697
Antony Sweeney
I was saying on the way out of the game though if it costs, I dunno, 50 or 60 grand to get rid of Hignett can and should we do that in our current financial state?

I wouldn't describe the atmosphere as good yesterday but it certainly wasn't toxic like it has been in recent weeks. Seems like the crowd have come to terms with the state we are in and that we need to pull together.

I'd like to see him bring in an older manager to just help him out maybe a day or two a week (to keep costs down). Get some of the basic stuff right and then we can build from there. A Ronnie Moore-type who has been round the fourth division for donkeys years and can help players with some of the basics and Hignett with stuff like game management which he really struggles with.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: