Hartlepool United Forum - Finances
Vital Football

Latest Hartlepool United News

Hartlepool United Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Doncaster MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Sub - Deverdics1%
Sub - Rodney50%
Sub - Simpson3%
Write for Vital Football
Vital Members League Table
3.jocky M3
4.Old Poolie1
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2): 1
25 January 2017 19:32 Post ID: #110817 - in reply to #110645
Antony Sweeney
Q&A with the chairman in the local rag today: http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/hartlepool-united/ex...

Lots of his usual bluster but one really concerning bit for me.

The Mail: Do you envisage any further financial issues?

GC: This season there might still be some bumps in the road.

If he's the kind of man who brushes aside three winding up petitions then I dread to think what could be coming between now and the end of the season.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
25 January 2017 19:39 Post ID: #110818 - in reply to #110691
Antony Sweeney
Block Sands - 24/12/2016 19:19

In my view the club would be able to invest more if they owned the ground. It's like renting a house - you aren't going to improve it if the landlord gets the benefit. Owning the ground itself and maybe a small area outside for parking is one thing but the club owning a larger area with houses and businesses is all together different.

We've been over the issues before when IOR wanted to buy the ground. I said at the time that Hartlepool Council would never sell because 95% of the people in the town have little interest in the club (based on a pop. of 100k and attendance/real interest of 5000). The Council probably see more votes in being tough and holding out for an unreasonable amount.

If JPNG gets to own the ground there is a vague possibility they could sell at a profit and walk away. That should be preventable if the sale contract is watertight. On the other hand the Council could end the Clubs lease and sell up themselves. For me it comes down to who do you trust most (or even at all) businessmen or councillors ?

I didn't see this post when it was posted but it's worth picking up on. The suggestion the rent HUFC pays to the council is similar to a private renting is a totally false scenario. The club get the ground on a peppercorn rent and there is many, many decades left on the lease. The only reason the club would need to own the ground is to borrow against it. Which any normal fan does not want them to do so as it jeopardises the future of the club by saddling it with debt.

We're already in a situation where the club appears to have taken out a Wonga-style high interest loan and followed it up with a loan which mortgages "all buildings and fixtures and fittings" at Victoria Park.

For your point about covenants on the ground, you only have to look at West to see what good a sporting covenant does for you once property developers get their hands on your land.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pages (2): 1
Jump to forum: